14 March 2010

sword of the sun

A campaign I've been working on ends soon, so it's been a crazy (but fun) last few weeks.

Crazy like getting home at 10:45 from work and getting ready for bed, only to have to head back for an emergency edit. Crazy like working through every lunch and dinner for weeks. Fun like constant creative challenges and hourly deadlines. Fun like collaborating with über talented folks on a great film.

My carrot the whole time has been a Saturday out on the sailboat. The forecast was for clear blue skies, 70-ish, and 10-12 knots. read: perfect. I wanted a long day out - sail in the morning, barbeque, put our jackets on and head back out for another sail at sunset. It turned out that our friend's boat wasn't available, and our regular crew wasn't either.

But I had to go out. So I splurged and rented a little Catalina-22 from Bluewater and invited Seth, Charles, and trusty and capable crew member Ryan. I've never gone out with Seth and Charles, and it turns out it was Seth's first time on a sailboat. It was a perfect day out. Just perfect. There's nothing like the feeling you get when you hoist the main, hoist the jib, cut the engine, and hear nothing but your sails snap full of wind.

I sit at home, listening my new Leonard Cohen record, sipping on a Kirin (we had sushi at Sugarfish post sail), getting ready to head out with some friends, and I understand and appreciate how good I have it.

Art sent me this short story by one of my favorite writers, Italo Calvino, last month. "The Sword of the Sun" from Calvino's Mr. Palomar relates the observations of a crusty, charming man who takes a swim in the ocean every sunset. This story says what I feel out on the water. Do yourself a favor and take a few minutes to read the five pages.

I took a bunch of pictures for a little timelapse video. Forthcoming. I bet you can't wait.





















































i need a scanner

No comments:

Post a Comment

internal links

Related Posts with Thumbnails