10 March 2010

Opening Title Sequences

I just read in The New York Times that South by Southwest is going to hand out an award for "Excellence in Title Design". After my ranting and raving about awards shows a couple posts ago, this is something I can get behind.

I love a good opening title sequence. When done right, it gets you excited about the next two hours. It marinates you (that's right. marinates you.), it wraps you up in the right context, priming you for a good movie watching experience. A good opening title sequence can also stand on it's own as a great piece. Friends and I will sometimes leave the theater with the opening titles being the first thing we talk about.

Our sister company, Picture Mill, does great title sequence work. I'm sure they'll get nominated for SXSW's award sooner than later. Just one more reason for me to make the trip to Texas.

Wow, I just found out Picture Mill did the opening title sequence for Panic Room. They did it long before I joined the company. I had already posted these two youtube videos before I found out - two of my favorites:

Saul Bass' titles for North by Northwest:

Opening titles for Panic Room. an homage?


1 comment:

internal links

Related Posts with Thumbnails