07 April 2010

Nice and Easy Does It

I saw this strongly worded letter from Frank Sinatra to a writer with the Chicago Daily News on Selectism. It reminded me of a story my dad tells me about when he was with Associated Press in the 1960s.

AP sent him to Las Vegas to start a bureau. It was him, and only him. He was assigned to interview Frank about something not very pleasant. He's never said exactly what it was, but it wasn't his new hit record, nor his good reputation. Probably more something like tax evasion or a run in with the Vegas police. So, anyways, my dad met with Frank for breakfast in a small cafe at The Sands Hotel, not one of the big rooms. As you can see in the letter below, Frank didn't take too kindly to journalists. My dad asked the wrong question, pushed a little too hard, and Frank took exception. None other than Dean Martin, sitting in a booth just across the way, calmly walked over and diffused the situation. Seemed like old hat to him. My dad doesn't remember exactly what Dean said, but he made light of it for both an irritated Frank and an uneasy dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

internal links

Related Posts with Thumbnails