26 July 2012

Derek Redmond

Another Barcelona '92 Olympics memory.

English track star Derek Redmond pulled up lame with a torn hamstring halfway through the 400 semis.  His dad ran out onto the track, and together, IN TEARS, they limped to the finish line.  I might have cried a little bit when I watched it and told my mom there was something stuck in my eye.

Here's a Visa commercial commemorating the moment.  I think they took the voiceover from Shawshank Redemption.  


And here's a user-created montage tribute to the race.  That's right - set to Coldplay.  If you think this is lame, you have no soul.



While the Olympic motto is Citius, Altius, Fortius - "Faster, Higher, Stronger" - the Olympic creed reads "The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well."

guh. I love the Olympics.


No comments:

Post a Comment

internal links

Related Posts with Thumbnails